The Think Sheet: The BEST Behavior Management Tool

August 5, 2016


We all know that establishing a great behavior management plan early on just makes the rest of the year go so smoothly. Your kiddos know exactly what’s expected of them, but when a mistake is made they have the means to deal with it and know that they can always recover from their actions and that tomorrow always brings a new day. At the beginning of the school year I spend a few weeks, yes WEEKS, establishing classroom routines and expectations for behavior. However, we all have off days or things going on at home that affect us and our kids are no different.

On those off days it’s important for teachers to have a way to communicate with their students about their behavior, what caused it, and ways to improve or know how to handle those moments in the future. These Think Sheets were exactly what I needed that not only helped a child understand their actions, but helped them talk it out with me and with their parents at home.

Today I'm excited to share with you all the easiest system I've used for years to maintain student behavior accountability all year long - without adding more work for me. Here's how I do it...



These Think Sheets have changed the way in which I give attention and due diligence in the classroom. Oftentimes when students misbehave I am to notice those signs that something is coming along. It may be irritability in the air, an off night or morning, being hungry, or anxious about friendships. For little ones it can absolutely be about anything. Think Sheets provide a way for students to not only take a few moments alone to reflect, but it gives them a few moments to themselves to calm down...and on their terms. Once they've calmed themselves, these sheets allow them to think through what happened and what lead up to their behavior.

The beautiful thing about how these sheets are used (and communicated to parents) are that they aren't punitive. Actually, they're meant as a tool for students to use for themselves. After reflecting, they now are equipped with the ability to share their feelings not only with me in the moment, but with their parents once they get home. I've heard from so many previous families that they've appreciated these Think Sheets because it clued them in to what happened at school and how to communicate with their child at home. This is especially important since kids see their parents hours after an incident first occurred.

Furthermore, I love that these think sheets allow students to take responsibility for their actions, regardless of their intentions. They are given the opportunity to think through what happened, explain why they did what they did, but then be able to communicate the issue with an adult, which to me is the most important piece. Long gone are the days when an adult asks a child ‘what happened’ and their response is ‘I don’t know’ or ‘I don’t remember.' Having a parent sign communicates to the teacher that the think sheet was discussed at home and therefore everyone is on the same page.

Since I first began using them in my classroom, I've since updated them so they can be used in a K-3rd/6th grade setting! Now that I'm back to teaching kindergarten, I love that I have differentiated pages that are just as effective.

Shop the individual page or the bundle!

If you're only looking for the OG Think Sheet that I used for my second graders, you're more than welcome to pick it up right here!

However, if you're wanting the differentiated bundle you can grab that, too! 



What's even better? This product is included in my ULTIMATE Back to School bundle! You can grab this and a ton of other helpful tools to ensure you launch the best back to school ever!