Sub Tub: Complete Sub Plan Lesson Plans for Fall

February 26, 2023

 


We've all been there as teachers...

...needing to call in and take a day (or a few) and stressing over how to prepare and plan for having a substitute while you're away. I remember feeling so ill one time and while keeled over my laptop I was quickly putting together a sub plan, emailing my team, linking all the things...and I remember thinking to myself: never again!

Prepping for a sub shouldn't be stressful and one way to beat that stress is to have a system in place where all of your emergency sub plans are already prepped and sitting, waiting to go. For me, that's the SUB TUB!


What is a Sub Tub?



Simply put: it's a container that you have pre-prepped lesson materials for multiple days or even weeks. It stays in an obvious place like near your desk or on a shelf (not tucked away in a closet) and easily accessible for any substitutes heading to your room.

What's inside a Sub Tub?



For me, I have lesson activities that span Phonics, Reading, Writing, and Math. I also have additional activities that are for fun and time-filler activities in case the sub is in need of something to keep my kiddos busy for those random 5-10 minutes before lunch or specials. 

The great thing is...you can fill your tub with anything you want! It's completely customizable to your class and the concepts your teaching!


Prepped Kindergarten Plans!

There's nothing like just having to hit the print button and make a simple round of copies and have your tub instantly filled. That's exactly why I set out to creating a resource for teachers to help them manage their time and efforts - especially when those dire moments pop up and we need to be away from our classrooms.

This resource focuses on review concepts for phonics, reading, writing, and math but with a fall/back to school theme. It's perfect for the beginning of the year but also has activities that lend itself for throughout the year too (i.e. story maps and name writing).




What's Included?

This resource is all about having every base covered from the morning to the afternoon for your sub.
In kindergarten in the fall we're just beginning those early learning concepts and that is what inspires this resource the most. Here's what's inside...
  • Phonics: missing ABCs, beginning sounds, rhyming words, letter sound hunt


  • Reading: story map, story elements, favorite part and favorite character response sheet
  • Writing: name practice, rainbow writing, and basic writing template paper for writing prompts


  • Math: number tracing 1-20, pumpkin 10-frames, subitizing color-by-number, comparing sets, one more/less practice


Sub Tub Template



Before you run off, here is another resource I use with my Sub Tub and which is completely 100% editable right in the PDF! It's a template for your tub where you include all of the important info about your class and how the day runs. It also includes a reflection page for your sub to jot down and share how the day went. I've been using mine for a year now and it makes organizing my class a breeze!




Happy teaching and cheers to making sub plans a breeze this year!