Graduation Directed Drawings

May 25, 2024

 


As I prepare for our end-of-year kindergarten graduation, I begin to prep all of the things students will be presenting to their parents on the big day. There's a writing portfolio I assemble using work samples from throughout the year, their monthly self-portraits and name writing, and other fun pieces from the year. 


In addition, students create watercolor self-portraits of them in their caps and gowns. This is an activity where I direct them (no YouTube required) and each year they come out so well! I display them in the hallway for a couple of weeks before I laminate them and present them during our class party.


Why Directed Drawings?

All year long I guide my students to become familiar with themselves. Call it a little SEL mixed with identity. The reason why I incorporate this activity each year is because of a moment in time when students would draw themselves, but not the way they actually looked. Everyone's skin would be "peach" regardless of their actual skin color. Hair would be drawn straight even if they had big curls. Or students would omit things like their glasses.

Flashback: While teaching kindergarten at the French school a few years ago, I was enamored with how my French colleagues (from preschool through elementary) emphasized drawing human forms (known has "bonhomme"). This showed me just how capable students were when given opportunities and direction.

Since then, self-portraits and directed drawings have become a mainstay all year and eventually become something the students present to their families on graduation day. 

BOY Directed Drawings

Since the beginning of the year is all about welcoming students and beginning those classroom community lessons, self-portraits are a great way to get students to begin seeing themselves as they are. In kindergarten social studies, students even learn the concept: "I am alike, I am different." This lends so much to what I love to build within my students!

I use personal handheld mirrors (provided initially for phonics/sound wall time) for students to observe their features. During various lessons we use them to focus on things about ourselves that make us alike and different. For example, we all have eyes...that's what makes us alike. But, our eyes can be different shapes or colors...that's what makes us different. We continue with this for a few lessons and then begin practicing self-portraits.

Graduation Directed Drawings


For this activity I model for students each step to creating their directed drawing. We all begin with the same features, then I tell them to add their own to make their pictures reflect what they look like.

General Guide:

  1. Draw a large oval for the face
  2. Add straight lines for the neck, a curved line connecting the sides of the neck
  3. Add diagonal lines to shape the shoulders to the end of the page. Add additional lines to make it look like a graduation gown
  4. Add facial features such as: eyes, nose, mouth, ears, eyebrows etc.
  5. Draw a triangle shape at the top of the head. This will be part of the cap
  6. Guide students to drawing a slanted square as the top of the cap. Add an optional tassel to the side

From there, I guide students to think about how they would draw their own personal features such as hair. Are they wearing earrings or glasses? They are to add these things to their own pictures.

Then I have them use skin-colored crayons to color their face and neck. Crayons also help keep the watercolors from bleeding onto the areas of their skin. When ready, students will finish off their drawings by coloring with watercolors. I tell them their cap and gown has to be blue, but they are to color everything else how they want. Finally, they are to pick a background color and done!



Each year our class receives so many compliments on their graduation drawings. They also make for such a cute keepsake for families. It's fun to see how students incorporate the different illustration skills they've picked up from various directed drawings throughout the year (those "cute" eyes!). I'm always so impressed in how they've all grown as illustrators and it's my hope they'll continue this growth throughout their educational journeys.

I hope this was a helpful and fun idea for your own end-of-the-year celebrations!