Teacher Tidbit Tuesday | Teaching History

June 26, 2018

Taking a little bit of a break from making a new product incorporating Eureka Math concepts (coming soon and I can't wait to share!) to join in with Life in 5th Grade, among other amazing teacher bloggers, for Teacher Tidbit Tuesday. Over the summer, and on each Tuesday, they host a blog topic to learn a little more about the teacher behind the blog! It's such a great way to meet others and learn more about the person!

And today is all about sharing a little about our teaching history.

So, join me as we venture back to 2011...

2011 is when I graduated with my Masters in elementary education from George Mason University in Virginia. When I was an undergraduate I knew on day one that I wanted to be a teacher and worked pretty hard to achieve that. So, when it came time I, along with a number of friends and people from my cohort, decided to go straight into grad school. At the time I thought it was the best option considering everyone (and now knowing as an adult years later) says that it's much harder going back to school then to just keep going and earn your degree.

So I did just that.

Towards the end of my graduate studies and internship, I found that a number of my friends were already getting job offers for the following school year. It made me feel nervous because I had zero offers and the school year was creeping up. Then, after applying to a dozen school districts near me, I got a phone call for an interview at a school right down the road from me.

I was thankful for the opportunity and received my first teaching position as an AM/PM kindergarten teacher. At first, I was hesitant about the position considering most of my field experience was with older grades and I was unsure about the half-day program. However, and like anything new, I hit the ground running and did my best to survive this new working culture. As anyone would say, their first year is treading water hoping to keep your head afloat. That year had many challenges, but I was thankful that I had co-workers and friends to help guide me through it.

As my first year teaching came to a close and I was preparing for my second year in kindergarten, my principal had an opening in second grade to which he assigned me. To survive my first year and then to switch grades can be matched with the feeling of starting your first year all over again. However, I was excited to join a new team and fell completely in love with second grade!

Total, I spent 2 years in second grade at my school before my husband (fiancé at the time) moved us from Virginia to California for a work opportunity. I enjoyed my three years at my school, but was eager to start somewhere new and broaden my teaching experience.

When we first arrived in California I wasn't anticipating the difficulty in trying to transfer my teaching license. California, I've learned, is very picky about what transfers and what doesn't - in addition to taking all my money! :)

But within that time from 2014 to now, I found an amazing Christian school to call home as an assistant teacher. Funny enough, I began in their preschool as an assistant considering no one was hiring in September (when we moved), but was grateful they made room for me. Since then I've moved up to first grade - had a baby and took time off - and resumed this past January in second grade. Now, beginning next year I will be taking over for my previous first grade lead teacher as she prepares to have her baby!

So if I were to ask myself if I could ever predict that I would have had the life and career experiences I have so far, that would be a definite no. But, there's something special in the way life changes things up, forces one to grow and evolve, and even find the time to take rest when needed. I am thankful to each and every one of my schools because I've been afforded challenges, opportunities for growth both personally and as a teacher, and experiences in more than one grade level.

This year I earned my California teaching credential and am in the process of clearing it, which requires a couple of extra steps (i.e. state exams/coursework- boo!). So, if you have any advice or tips/tricks for taking online classes I'm all ears!

I'd love to connect with you further in the comments about your teaching experience! What grades have you taught? Have you ever moved or changed schools? Found yourself in a new state? Let me know!


PSSST...
 Don't forget about my little sale going on this week over at my TpT shop!