Teacher Tidbit Tuesday | Summer Routine

July 3, 2018



It's Tuesday and that means I am joining in on this week's teacher topic which is all about sharing summer routines! Be sure to check out Life in 5th Grade and the other amazing bloggers who are hosting this topic discussion!

Oh, summer. How I love thee.

Summer for me this year is a little different than previous summers since I am beginning online classes at UCLA to earn my English Language Learners certificate. As a part of licensing here in California, I have earned my preliminary credential which is good for five years. Within those five years I must earn my CLAD certificate (the English language learners certification) and complete an induction program - which is kind of like student teaching/internship. I'm a touch frustrated that I have to complete the induction program simply because it's extremely similar to the internship I completed during my grad school studies.

But, alas there's no way around it so I just have to suck it up and get it done.

Other than that...


Right after the school year ended my family and I took a vacation to one of our favorite islands: Turks & Caicos. If you've never been (or heard of it) you NEED to do your research and book your tickets! My husband and I visited for the first time almost 5 years ago and loved it so much we returned for our honeymoon. Since Greyson arrived we haven't been able to take a real vacation, so this year we saved up enough credit card points and were able to make it work!

From CA we flew to Miami, Florida and split up our trip to accommodate Greyson with the time difference. So, we decided to spend a day in Miami before flying to Turks, which is only about a 45 minute flight. It was so nice to relax and the resort we stayed at just began an 'all inclusive' rate, which is extremely helpful now that we're traveling as a family. 



Now that we're back home, Greyson continues to go to school which is a huge help for me because I can focus on my summer school class and work on prepping curriculum and products for next year (and my TpT shop). It also allows me to finally dust the cobwebs off my little blog here and regularly post again. 

My, what one can do with uninterrupted time!

New curriculum and products...

This summer thus far I have been really crunching out this Eureka Math product that I plan to use next year when teaching first grade. If you're not familiar, Eureka Math is a math curriculum that really breaks objectives and concepts down and provides students a multitude of ways to compute and find the answer. Parts of it I love and others seem a bit cumbersome, but my school just adopted this last year and I want to be as prepared and knowledgable about it as I can.

I'm excited to share what I've been working on, but there's A LOT of content to get through....just for Module 1! Be sure to follow me here via email or at my Facebook page for more updates and the big reveal!

Health and wellness.

Another aspect of my summer is focusing on my health and overall wellness. Yes, working out and getting healthy is always a goal, but I am finally taking the steps to check-in with myself and make some necessary changes. First, I went to the doctor for a check up; something I haven't had done in ages or at least since being pregnant. I also opted to have blood work done so that I can see where my numbers are - especially for high cholesterol, which I'm predisposed to having. This also means exploring the Keto diet and making healthier food choices during the week and making sure I fit the gym into my daily routine as well.

I personally need a goal in order to get my butt to the gym so I've decided to purchase the running app 13.1, which is the same company as C25K ('couch to 5k). My goal is to condition myself to run a half-marathon even though I'm not signed up for any event. Having this goal makes me accountable to run the plan from the app and change my eating/drinking habits to support my training. So, it's a win, win!

How do you stay healthy during the summer months?

I love that the summer months are more relaxing with time to gather with friends, stay in my PJs than what's probably acceptable, and thank gooooooodness for Greyson's school that offers a summer program. I love that boy, but I am so thankful to have a break during the day to be productive....or binge on Southern Charm and Real Housewives. ;)

Catch my other posts in this series...