Diving Into Eureka Math | First Grade

July 12, 2018

Last year was the first time I was introduced to Eureka Math. My school had adopted it last year and it seems the consensus was that overall teachers liked aspects of the curriculum, but that it definitely can be modified. I just so happen to agree and today I wanted to share a few of my ideas as I plan to teach Module 1 for first grade next school year.


Download at TpT
As some of you may already know, Eureka Math seems to be a popular math curriculum that is finding it's way from middle/high schools to the elementary grades. In second grade last year I got to get a glimpse into the program and how the kids interact with it's material. I have to agree that there is A LOT of great strategies taught, but I found too much time was spent on any one given concept. And I have to say it...

...I HATE the worksheets that come along with it!

They've got too many problems and the format isn't conducive to helping students visualize the math concepts being taught. Also...it's not cute so I took it upon myself to create something that, I hope, teachers all over can use.

I am excited to share with you the complete MODULE 1 of Eureka Math for first grade!

My plan for the future is to dig into second grade for when I go back next January and have those resources available to you all! So, definitely keep an eye out for that!

But, for now I have Module 1 ready for all my first grade teacher friends and I couldn't be more excited to share this with you!

So, let's take a peek at what I've been working on these last few weeks of summer...


One way I love teaching is by using easy-to-follow note pages for my students. By having them be responsible for taking 'notes' during a lesson, I'm more likely to keep their attention and engagement for longer. So, I formatted each application problem and problem set for every lesson to be just right for pasting into student's interactive notebooks!

**But want worksheets instead for centers or small groups? Just print them like normal!

Have students easily follow along with your lessons each day! I've adapted these pages so that while you're teaching the concept development, they can follow along in their journals. I've also narrowed down the problem sets to include just the right amount of practice problems before dismissing your students to another activity you may have planned.

Using a notebook helps keep track of student learning, gives students a space to jot their ideas and work down, and keeps them in a safe place all year long! Use additional pages in your notebooks, too, for other activities you plan during each lesson.

Each Module will feature a cover page with tabs so that as students build their journals throughout the year, each Module will be easy to find! Cover pages also include an overview of what students will be learning about during those lessons.


Most lessons include extension activities for those students ready to expand their thinking or even for those early finishers. Along with that are templates that can be printed out and laminated for continued use throughout the school year using Expo markers! Cut and paste activities can also be used throughout various lessons.



Every so many lessons the Eureka Math curriculum gives students the opportunity to complete Sprints, or timed fluency tests. These sprints can be used at the beginning of lessons to get student's brains warmed up or use them as a means to check-in with their fluency. A and B sides are included as well and match up to Eureka's answer keys included in the Teacher Handbook. Answer keys can also be found online!

Pin me for later!