Make It Mondays

February 9, 2019


In my district we are known for our World of Work program, which is a curriculum that uses Holland Codes to allow students of all grades to explore their interests and the careers that are assigned to those interests and skills. Even young learners, like my EAK students, are encouraged to explore their interests (which fits very well into my All About Me unit) and the careers that best fit them.

Each day last week I introduced my kiddos to the Codes known as RIASEC. Dr. Holland developed these codes based on research and studies that showed that everyone's personality fit into one (or many) of these codes. RIASEC stands for realistic (builders, doers), investigative (thinkers, observational), artistic (creators, artists), social (helpers, teachers), enterprising (speakers, leaders, sellers), and conventional (organizers, likes things in their place). 

Bears Challenge



To best incorporate these RIASEC lessons into our everyday schedule and learning, each day of the week students will be challenged or asked to explore each of the codes. Every Monday is what I like to call "Make It Monday" where students work on some sort of building activity that realistic "doers" enjoy doing.

For example, the very first week I rolled this out I challenged students to build a bridge using only sticks and cups. They were only given four of each and were first challenged to fit 10 bears. The kids found ways to adapt and change their designed bridge in order to accommodate the bears. Then, I asked students to fit 15 bears, then 20. Each time it was really awesome to see kids problem solve and push through the challenge despite being frustrated a time or two.

Building a Bridge



Another fun way to get my kiddos to tap into their building spirit was challenging them to build a bridge using only legos. I had one photo as a reference but allowed them to come up with any design they wanted as long as it was bridge-like.

Marshmallow Structures

Additionally, in my building center I try to change up the activities so that what the kids are exposed to whole-group can be practice individually. In my building center I placed the good 'ole fashioned marshmallows and toothpicks to allow my kids to build structures that were different shapes. Some explored 2D and even 3D shapes on their own...and one of my kids was the only one to successfully complete the challenge of building a structure to hold an item! I was so proud of him!



What are some of your favorite ways to tie in STEM skills during the day?