Guided Reading. Made Simple.

January 31, 2020


I am going to go ahead and apologize for this post for it’s going to be a long one! However, it’s all to share with you what I’ve spent the better part of a month creating and putting together and now I get to share it with all of you!
Friends, I have for you my Guided Reading Made Simple comprehensive download!

When I first started teaching guided reading was a daunting task. It required teachers to not only make reading sub-plans for each group and to keep track of data and assessments. I had to search all over teacher blogs and Pinterest to find these different instruction components and tried year after year new approaches to find what worked with me and my students. Needless to say I was finding a lot of resources but didn’t know how to work them into my guided reading block.

This year I have combined all of my favorite activities as well as data tracking sheets such as anecdotal notes, running records, and reading level tracking sheets that students can complete!Let’s take a peek at everything that’s included in this download...I am a huge fan of providing as much information to parents as possible at the beginning of the year. Since reading instruction, for any grade, is largely stressed (and even used to evaluate teachers) it’s important that reading at home is made a priority.

However, most parents don’t have the proper information in order to do that.

For The Parents


I have put together a couple FAQ pages for teachers to send home that outlines and explains what guided reading is an it’s importance during the school day. I have also created a take-home resource for parents that outlines the reading skills that are being taught in 2nd grade and what to look for in student reading at home. In addition, I have a Standards Made Simple page as well that break down the literacy standards and makes them easy to understand for parents.


Cheat Sheet For Teachers



Throughout the year I have always needed my literacy standards accessible while planning for my groups. It helps me keep track of the standards I need to teach or re-teach and this flip-book is easy to make and keeps the CCS right at my fingertips without taking up space.


Assessments:

Keeping track of student progress is vital within the classroom. It allows teachers to see where each child is at and where they can take them next. These forms are great for admins to view as well as to share with parents during conferences. Taking notes and keeping them organized has never been easier!

Simply make notes yourself or use the boxes for checking off observed skills. These note-taking sheets are designed for pre-a & emergent, early, transitional, and fluent readers; because let’s be real, you’ll find yourself with kids all across the reading spectrum - even if it is 2nd grade.


Visualizing & Inferring:

Although there isn’t a specific CCS objective that relates to visualizing and inferring, it’s nonetheless important to teach or at least spend a little time practicing. Having students picture what they’re reading helps them with beginning comprehension of characters and their actions as well as inferring character feelings and actions through these same pictures. Practice as a whole group using given examples or have students practice using a text to find three details and use them to make an inference. Also, three worksheets have provided photos for students to use to make their own inferences, which can be scaffolded to practicing within their book.




Summarizing & Retelling:

I would have to say that this skill is one of the biggest, and can be challenging, that is taught in second grade (but of course it can vary by state). The biggest EOY skill is comprehension and learning to summarize what they read by using their own words to explain what happened to the characters, especially as they begin to read chapter books, can be daunting. However, these worksheets break down each skill using simple charts to break up student thinking with SWBSF, trace summary writing, a blank template, and flow charts for retelling using B-M-E.





I love incorporating flip-books because it gives students something fun to do rather than completing worksheets or writing in their journals. I always have students complete the reflection first with my assistance then they may cut out their pages to make the flip-book. It’s also great for those kinetic learners too who need some variation other than just writing!

These flip-books can make for great center activities too!

You can’t have too many posters in your guided reading area ;)

Making Connections





This section includes two worksheet templates, a foldable, and reading notebook flaps for student reflection and note-taking. I like having a few different ways to practice this skill of which are super easy to prepare!



Discussing how we connect to what we read is just as important as being able to write our thoughts down. Here are reference posters for students to use when thinking about how they reflect through text-to-text, text-to-self, and text-to-world connections. These sentence starters are helpful in giving students a foundation to use when making and writing out their connections and how it relates to the story.

Student Reference Posters!




I took a different take on the popular reading strategy posters. The animals are popular for the younger kiddos, however I think it’s important to stress the skill and what it looks like. So, instead of using the animal references (i.e. Lips The Fish, Tryin’ Lion, etc.) I have taken the same skills and created colorful posters for students to use as a reference during groups.


I love including these fluency posters since fluency is an important skill that us teachers look for once students reach the early/transitional + reading level. Have kids understand what fluency is just like we do with the reading strategies stressing: punctuation, phrasing, rate, intonation, expression, and accuracy.

My hope is that you all find this resource as helpful as it has made me in years past! Catch more details and pick it up for yourself over at my TpT shop

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Guided-Reading-Made-Simple-2nd-Grade-2792017