Solving Strategies with Eureka Math

December 15, 2018


Today I am so excited to finally share Module 4 of my Eureka Math set of resources! It's taken months to finally pull together and I personally am thankful to all of my friends and followers here for their patience!

These last few months have been keeping me busy: our family moved to San Diego, I've been on multi-step interviews for a new teaching position (which I got, yay!), prepping my lettering shop for the holidays, and life in general just seemed to have gotten in the way. However, I'm happy to say that as we're on the heels of a Winter Break and gearing up to travel to Texas to visit with my husband's family for the holidays, here's Module 4 for second grade!

Application Problems & Problem Sets

As always, Module 4 is packed full of 31 engaging lessons that have students learn new strategies for solving multi-step problems, word problems, and begin composing and decomposing multi-digit number expressions. Students are really introduced in this module to building upon their understanding of addition and subtraction rules while learning new strategies like the vertical way and using place value charts to visualize their bundling and unbundling.

This is a fun module and always one where you'll find your students really relying on what they know and have learned in the previous three modules!

So, let's take a peek at Module 4!

Student work spaces

Something new to the application pages are the empty work spaces for students to use while following the lesson prompts from the teacher. After the mid-module assessment, the lessons require quite a bit of practice and work and I thought the best way to have kids follow along is by having a work space for them to work in while the teacher models how to solve each concept development problem.

Each lesson has a coordinating Application Problem, Concept Development, and Problem Set. In my opinion, Eureka Math's version can be overwhelming with words, little to no visuals, and only have teachers model the skill, which often lead to boring lessons that were predictable and had very little engagement with my students.

Now, with each module I create I incorporate the concept taught in each lesson but do so with more of a chance for students to visualize the skill, work through a little note-taking while the teacher instructs during the Concept Development, and a Problem Sets that focus on up to an average of 3-4 practice problems for students to complete either together or independently.

I've found that using Eureka Math is a great foundation, but to be used as an launching place for more engaging activities like centers, small groups, or group work. So, I've designed my resources with this in mind and hope teachers can find unique ways to include these modules into their lessons.

Skill Practice

Piggy backing on what I just said..

Each lesson has an aligned Application Problem, a little section for skill introduction (for use during the Concept Development lesson), and a Problem Set. The Application Problem is identical to the word problem given at the beginning of each lesson and gives students a space to work through the RDW process.

Depending on the skill, the notes section introduces the skill or vocabulary that students will be learning and practicing in that lesson. It incorporates the processes talked about in the lesson for the Concept Development in a way that students can easily follow along and provide a visual to what the teacher will be discussing.

Personally, I've always been more successful when math concepts are broken down into easy steps and match with what the teacher is saying. My hope is that this way of designing the lesson sheets are helpful to other teachers as well as their students!

Assessments!

This module comes with both a mid-module and end-of-module assessment! Much like the other worksheets provided in the original Eureka Math workbook, their assessments require too much of demonstrating understanding how to solve multiples of the same problem. I've decided to cut down the assessments to two pages and include the problems that are covered specific skills. That way these assessments are used in more of an informal way for teachers to check-in with their students throughout the module - and use more comprehensive assessments later on.


Sprints!

And just like all of my other modules I've included the given sprints! These pages are optional considering Eureka Math has their own workbook just for Sprints and may be easier than printing these - but I wanted to include them anyways! :)


I hope you're just as excited as I am about this new release of Module 4 and find it to be helpful this school year! Other modules are in the works, so be sure to follow me on TpT and Facebook to know when new modules are released!

Until then...

Catch up on all the modules so far!

Second Grade

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Little-Fox-Teaching/Category/Eureka-Math-334772