Easy Prep for Valentine's Week in Kindergarten

February 9, 2020


It's Valentine's week and every year I somehow lose the sense of time. I honestly try to plan ahead and prepare all of the heart and pink themed materials that make this week so much fun for my kinders and yet here I am hustling to get things done.

As I plan and look forward to this week, I've found a ton of resources (many of which are free!) that will keep my kids engaged up until our minimum day on Friday.

Creation Station Ideas

Love Monster Directed Drawings
Directed drawings are not only fun, but they help practice skills such as listening, following directions, and fine motor. I love the idea of this being presented in a Creation Station workshop center with each stage shown or a whole group activity with a paired writing prompt. I personally love that this particular design is easy enough for my kinders yet great for older kids in the older grades, too.

photo | from the pond

Either way, they're super adorable and can be picked up at From the Pond blog! She has this printable ready over on her TpT store, too!

Valentine Goodie Bag

photo | art bar blog
I love this idea for a simple goodie bag project that can be easily a part of workshop centers leading up to the big day. The use of painted newspapers cut into hearts then taped with valentine themed washi-tape makes this idea so easy to prep! Add some stamps for the kids to stamp their names and voila!

ABC/Word Work

To keep our learning going throughout the week I've found a number of great resources that keep with the Valentine theme that are not only easy prep, but many of which are FREEBIES!

photo | madebyteachers.com
One of the centers I'm using this week are these candy hearts ABC matching. In January we really hit the ground running with writing with lowercase letters and this free activity is a great way for students to practice their letter identification and matching.

Some other free letter and tracing resources are:




photo | pocket of preschool
Sand trays are always an easy option for a low prep center idea. This one is made extra special with sprinkles in the sand/salt and using hearts for letters or sight words. This center can easily be adapted depending on the age and grade level.

V is for Valentine
 
photo | easy preschool craft
And finally, what better letter to study the week of Valentine's Day than the letter V?! This craft is so easy to prepare, just the letter V on pink construction paper and have students decorate it with Valentine themed goodies like stickers, hearts, and other gems. This is a perfect activity for preschool or kindergarten!

Work on Writing

An easy way to get my kinders writing during workshop centers is providing them with a station that is easily transported from class to class (remember, I'm a pop-in English teacher). So, writing stations are wonderful, but I always have to keep in mind that the materials have to be able to be on the-go like I am.

Here are my favorite ideas for Valentine writing centers!

Valentine Post Office
photo | a pinch of kinder
I love this idea of a valentine themed writing center. It's filled with all kinds of goodies for students to practice their writing skills like names, sight words, and inventive spelling (i.e. phonetic spelling). I am a huge fan of the Pinch of Kinder blog and have found so much inspiration...like this writing center!

photo | glitter and glue for K-2

I also love a good Write-the-Room activity and have stocked up on quite a few for the year. One in particular that I love (and my kids love doing) are these Valentine's Day write the room cards from Whitney at Glitter and Glue for K-2 blog!

It's an easy way to introduce thematic vocabulary and have my kids practice their fine motor handwriting skills. And for only $2? Yes, please!

Win, win!





There's so much fun and learning to be had this week! My hope is that you're feeling inspired as you plan the week ahead and find some useful resources and blogs along the way. I wish you all a very exciting week with your students!!

Happy Valentine's Week, everyone!