Valentine Creative Writing FREEBIE

February 11, 2020

It's valentine week here in kindergarten and I am so excited by the centers that I have prepped for my students! This week we're sharing the love and keeping up with our learning - even if we're so close to our winter break!

It never fails that right before a break my students (and I) begin to feel it...and thus we can't shake those moments of behavior. So, it's ever so important to keep my kiddos engaged and this week with the excitement of Valentine's Day I'm capitalizing on that energy.

I'm so excited to share a new FREEBIE that's heading to my TpT store, this Valentine Writing center!


Materials:

What I love most about this center is that it begins to stretch the minds and creativity of my students. In kindergarten they're only just beginning to write and put sounds together in the form of inventive spelling. It's always a lot of fun to see what they come up with so here's a peek at a few...


This student used her Hershey Kiss wrapper as a pink circle balloon. I love the details in her illustration and this activity lent itself for the conversation about building a picture around the wrapper.

Another student went above and beyond and used her wrapper for a few different items in her picture! She used the Kisses paper along the top as the string lights and her wrapper as a birthday cake, a bouquet of flowers, and additional lights on her string. She's one of my more advanced writers in English and was so proud of her work!


Valentines!

As an additional activity within my writing center this week are these valentine templates. Students' names in class are shared along with the directions on how to complete the center. They are to select either a heart or card and then pick one student in class to write a valentine to. Once they write their name, they then think about and write one kind thing about them. This is another opportunity for them to feel a personal connection to their writing and express themselves to others.


Easily edit this page by using a text box to write the names of your students. This is a handy tool for them to not only practice their own names, but the names of their peers. I love how easily this is another way to expose my students to the written English language!



I hope you have as much fun with this writing center as my students did!

Feel free to snap a photo of your class using this FREEBIE and share it out on Instagram using @LittleFoxTeaching

Grab this FREEBIE for a quick and engaging writing center the week of Valentine's Day!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Valentines-Writing-Center-FREEBIE-5243134

Linking this freebie up with The Bender Bunch!