Letter Houses | A Phonemic Awareness Activity

October 1, 2020

 


This year I made a number of new additions to my regular phonics center rotations and I am excited to share with you these Letter Houses! 

Last year I took note of the amazing activities my French kindergarten colleagues used throughout the year and I was completely taken with their maison du lettre, which translates to letter house. They created poster sized houses with the letter of the week at the top and would laminate pictures that would go in the house. They'd use these to introduce letters and sounds and proceed to have a printable copy for students to practice on their own.

Although there are amazing sorts out there for letter sounds, I knew I wanted to try something similar during English class. It's great to find ways to integrate the types of activities that students already complete with their French teacher because it's a process they're already familiar with. Plus, it reinforces their phonemic awareness and abilities to distinguish between letter sounds.

So, today I have the English version of the Letter Houses ready for download!



Letter House Sorts

This resource comes with all houses A-Z along with picture cards that align with each letter and sound. Within the pictures students have to distinguish between the pictures that belong in the house (i.e. share that sound) or not.

All week we spend time with the letter and its sound. I use this Alphafriends resource I created (which has already shown amazing results in terms of phonics retention) at the beginning of each class period along with read alouds and a whole group focus lesson. Because I'm limited in my ELA time I use these houses in my workshop centers so that students manage to complete this activity by the end of the week.

Want to test drive these Letter Houses?

If you're looking to see how much you like these Letter Houses I offer this FREEBIE, which includes houses A-C. It will give you the chance to use them in your classroom and if you love them as much as I do you can easily pick up the full resource for only $3!


I hope you enjoy this amazing activity as much as I have this year! Be sure to check out the rest of my TpT shop to see what other resources you could use in your classroom this year!